Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Monday 2 January 2017

Pintail at RSPB Greylake, plus lots of Wigeon!

To get the year off to a good start, I spent a couple of hours at RSPB Greylake this afternoon as the light was beautiful! Judging by my struggle in finding somewhere to park, a lot of people obviously had the same idea!!
  It was very cold in the hide (and packed!) I sat next to my friend Nick Stacey, who had wisely come out dressed for the occasion in hat and gloves etc etc....I never learn!
  The Winter ducks were quite close to the hide for once, and I was thrilled to manage some shots of the scarcer Pintails, there's only usually a handful at Greylake, and they're often only seen when they take to flight!
 There were also lots of Snipe about, a lovely bird to watch as it probes the wet soil with it's long beak looking for worms etc.
   By far the most numerous bird was Wigeon, and I practiced my 'Birds in flight' photography on them as well as the other ducks!
  A very pleasant afternoon, below I include a selection of the photo's I managed!

Happy New Year! :)







^Above^ - Pintail









^Above^ - Shoveler.






^Above^ - Mallard









^Above^ - Teal.



^Above^ - Gadwall.















































^Above^ - Wigeon. (Lots of!)





^Above^ - Coots.






^Above^ - Lapwings.







^Above^ - Little Egret.


^Above^ - Carrion Crow.





^Above^ - Snipe.





^Above^ - Buzzard being harassed by a Raven.


^Above^ -Cormorant.


No comments:

Post a Comment