Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Sunday 18 November 2018

Short Eared Owls at Steart Marshes and Cattle Egrets at Shapwick Heath!

Whilst at work the last week I enviously saw photo's uploaded to Twitter and Facebook of gorgeous Short Eared Owls showing well at Steart Marshes in Somerset. I couldn't wait for the weekend to go and see if I could get some photo's of these wonderful charismatic birds myself, especially as the weather forecast was good!

   The Marshes didn't disappoint, and there were up to 7 Owls flying about in the afternoon sun, delighting the gathered crowds of birders and photographers!
   They were not easy to photograph, but I managed a few shots that I was pleased with, in fact my best ever Short Eared Owl pics, as I hadn't had a lot of luck with this species previously!

 Also seen was a female Hen Harrier, a lone Brambling (My first of the year!), a few Snipe and Curlew, plus lots of Skylarks, which are always a delight to see and hear!

  This afternoon I drove with my family past Shapwick Heath and stopped by a field with up to 25 Cattle Egrets in! They are becoming pretty common on the Somerset Levels now, and it's a wonderful success story! They're fabulous birds to watch, as they stalk around the cows looking for prey! I saw them catch Dragonflies and one catch a Toad!

 Also seen was a female Kestrel with a young Snake as prey!

I was asked onto BBC Somerset radio a few days ago to talk to Charlie Taylor about my nature photography and how I use social media, particularly Twitter! This is way out of my comfort zone, but it was my 4th time on the radio this year, so I'm getting used to it! Managed to chat for 10 minutes, my longest interview yet!

  I will post a link to the interview below, plus photo's of all I mention above, and pics of other birds I've seen since my last post including Marsh Tits, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldfinches and Fieldfares. :)








































^Above^ - The gorgeous Short Eared Owls at Steart Marshes in Somerset. 


^Above^ - Short Eared Owl and a flock of Linnets at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Hen Harrier at Steart Marshes.







^Above^ - Goldfinches at Steart Marshes.





^Above^ - Lapwings at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Curlew at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Female Chaffinch at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Brambling at Steart Marshes.




^Above^ - Little Egret at Steart Marshes.




^Above^ - Linnets at Steart Marshes.





^Above^ - Skylarks at Steart Marshes.



^Above^ - Snipe at Steart Marshes.















































^Above^ - Cattle Egrets at Shapwick Heath in Somerset.




^Above^ - Female Kestrel with a Snake at Shapwick Heath.














^Above^ - More Cattle Egrets, this time at RSPB Greylake in Somerset.







^Above^ - Gadwall at RSPB Greylake.




^Above^ - Lapwings at RSPB Greylake, chasing a Magpie away in the bottom pic!








^Above^ - Magpie at RSPB Greylake.









^Above^ - Mallards at RSPB Greylake.




^Above^ - Marsh Harriers at RSPB Greylake.





^Above^ - Starlings at RSPB Greylake.




^Above^ - Roe Deer at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Buzzard at RSPB Greylake.





^Above^ - Blue Tits at RSPB Greylake.




^Above^ - Great Tits at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - House Sparrow at RSPB Greylake.



^Above^ - Pheasant at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Starling at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Unidentified caterpillar at RSPB Greylake.








^Above^ - Fieldfares near Middlezoy in Somerset.


^Above^ - Buzzard near Middlezoy.


^Above^ - Kingfisher near Middlezoy.



^Above^ - Blackbird and Berries near Middlezoy.


^Above^ - Little Egret and Mute Swans near Middlezoy.


^Above^ - Lapwings near Middlezoy.







^Above^ - Rooks near Middlezoy, with a Walnut in the bottom pic.


^Above^ - Rook and Carrion Crow near Middlezoy.




^Above^ - Roe Dear near Bruton in Somerset.


^Above^ - Snipe near Bruton.









^Above^ - Great Spotted Woodpecker at Low Ham in Somerset.







^Above^ - Kestrel at Low Ham.


^Above^ - Meadow Pipit at Low Ham.


^Above^ - Pheasant at Compton Dundon in Somerset.





^Above^ - Marsh Tits at RSPB Swell Wood in Somerset.





^Above^ - Coal Tits at Swell Wood.




^Above^ - Blue Tits at Swell Wood.





^Above^ - Wren in my Somerset garden.


^Above^ - Woodpigeon in my garden.




^Above^ - Goldfinches in my garden.


^Above^ - Robin in my garden.


^Above^ - Collared Dove in my garden.


^Above^ - Chaffinch in my garden.


^Above^ - Blue Tit in my garden.




^Above^ - Starlings in my garden.


^Above^ - Greenfinch in my garden.



^Above^ - Somerset Autumn....


^Above^ - Video of bickering Starlings in my garden.


^Above^ - My BBC Somerset Radio interview!

6 comments:

  1. Useful article, thank you for sharing the article!!!

    Website bloggiaidap247.com và website blogcothebanchuabiet.com giúp bạn giải đáp mọi thắc mắc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought that there will be a miracle on the internet until i came in contact with Priest Babaka, finally i made it with his help, with his spiritual power which was recommended by a lady in baby center he help before, i never believe it was real until i confirm it now because i have tried so many things to make sure i get pregnant but no luck, immediately i contact him. he did some spiritual prayers and send me a medicine which i took, i got pregnant three weeks after, and i now have a son to show. thank you so much priest and i recommend Priest Babaka for everyone out there that is willing to have a child of her own out there. contact him for help too he is real and powerful, i have confirmed it, contact him on email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I’m From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the
    help Dr Sunny has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his
    spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because
    my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i
    came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to
    get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his
    help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my
    case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating
    because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a
    great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr
    Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are
    facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email {
    solutioncentre911@gmail.com } you can call Dr or whats app him via
    {+2349056393169} His Also specialize in
    1) love Spell
    2) Pregnancy Spell
    3) Divorce Spell
    4) Marriage Spell
    5) Healing Spell
    6) Penis enlargement
    7) Money Spell
    8.) You want to be promoted in your office
    9) you want to satisfy your lover
    contact this great man if you have any problem for a lasting solution
    Through his email via { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } .

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr jeffrey can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr jeffrey . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail:

    dctrjeffrey@gmail.com

    WhatsApp +2348162061202

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to be a very poor woman who has always not find luck when it comes to playing the lottery. I have been playing lottery since i was 21 years and now i am 45 meaning i have been playing lottery for 24 years. The biggest amount i have ever won in my life was 400 bucks. But one day my story turns to history after i find this man name on the Internet that he is the best when it comes to winning lottery. This man is a very strong voodoo doc who gives out the numbers that can never fail. After all my years of laboring and struggling to win the lottery i finally won ( $27,000,000) Dr Alli is the name, Email: allispellhelp1@gmail.com or contact him on his whatsApp number +2348100772528 this is the only way to win the lottery and the best way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genuine and Amazing service on how to get back your ex. To whom it may concern, After spending hours searching the internet about how to get my lover back i was glad that i contacted Dr Akhigbe spell caster Without wasting much time i would like to write out the details of Dr Akhigbe whose details has done a lot of people a huge favor, you can contact him on drakhigbespellhome7@gmail.com. Or WhatsApp him on +2349021374574

    ReplyDelete