Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Sunday 24 January 2016

Short Eared Owls at Uphill

I had heard about a Short Eared Owl being present at Uphill near Weston Super Mare in North Somerset and as I'd hadn't ever had any luck at all in finding and photographing them in the past I popped in last week to see if my luck had changed.
   I didn't know exactly where to look, so I went along the public footpath near the natural harbour where a few boats were moored. Looking over a small field on the right I immediately saw a Short Eared Owl fly over the low hedge, low across the short grass and then disappear back over the hedge!
  My luck had certainly changed alright!!
  The Enviroment Agency were working by the river and public footpath and as a consequence it was very muddy....I managed to get over the style without slipping over and I moved to the right up to a gap in the hedge via a walkway someone had created through some very stubborn brambles!
    This viewpoint gave me a view over some rough grassy land next to a golf course, perfect Short Eared Owl hunting enviroment!
  Sure enough, there were 2 shorties hunting here! I was thrilled!
There was a strong sidelight from the sun, so my position wasn't ideal for photography, although it allowed some pleasing light through the Owls wings.
  They stayed mostly quite distant, but I was thrilled to finally get some photos of birds I have always loved and been fascinated by!

Below are some pics of the Owls, plus some other nature shots taken during the last 3 weeks;






















^Above^ - Short Eared Owls at Uphill.


^Above^ - Sparrowhawk at Uphill.





^Above^ - Magpies at Uphill.




^Above^ - Goldfinches at Uphill.





^Above^ - Robins at Uphill.


^Above^ - Carrion Crow at Uphill.


^Above^ - Pied Wagtail at Uphill.


^Above^ - House Sparrow at Uphill.




^Above^ - Dunnock at Uphill.


^Above^ - Stolford beach with Glastonbury Tor in the distance.


^Above^ - Brent Geese at Stolford beach.






^Above^ - Fighting Herring Gulls at Apex Park in Burnham on Sea.



^Above^ - Herring Gulls at Apex Park.


^Above^ - Black Headed Gull at Apex Park.


^Above^ - Moorhen at Apex Park.



^Above^ - Pied Wagtail at Apex Park.


^Above^ - Female Reed Bunting at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Robin at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Starling at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Mistle Thrush at Chard in Somerset.


^Above^ - Black Headed Gulls at Cheddar reservoir.


^Above^ - Blue Tit at Cheddar reservoir.


^Above^ - Marsh Tit at RSPB Swell Wood in Somerset.




^Above^ - Coal Tits at RSPB Swell Wood.


^Above^ - Blue Tit at RSPB Swell Wood.


^Above^ - Nuthatch at RSPB Swell Wood.


^Above^ - Treecreeper at RSPB Swell Wood.




^Above^ - Squirrels at RSPB Swell Wood.










^Above^ - Collared Doves at Yatton in Somerset.


^Above^ - Jackdaw at Yatton.




^Above^ - Goldfinch at Yatton.


^Above^ - Finally, Reed heads at Uphill.

You can 'like' my Facebook nature page here;

https://www.facebook.com/CarlBovisNaturePhotography

You can follow my Twitter nature account here;

https://twitter.com/CarlBovisNature

No comments:

Post a Comment