Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Friday 24 April 2015

Underwater Great Crested Grebe and the Nikon D7200!

3 days ago I took delivery of my new photographic toy, the Nikon D7200!!
I have had my D7000 for about 5 years and it's taken A LOT of pictures!
  I'd been thinking of upgrading to the D7100, then early this year the new D7200 was announced and I decided to take the plunge!
  I'm so glad I did!
What a camera! Immediately I noticed the difference in resolution (12MP to 24MP!) and the sharpness and clarity in the pictures! The colours 'popped' and there was less noise at higher ISOs too!
  Yesterday I stopped for my dinner break at Herriots Bridge, over Chew Valley Lake.
I took some pics of nesting Grebes and even captured them doing their delightful courtship dance! (Below)




Whilst standing at the bridge, I looked down and saw a shoal of fish (Roach I think!), the sun above my head meant I could see into the water clearly. All of a sudden a Great Crested Grebe came swimming in at great speed, underneath the water, and scattered the fish in all directions! I'd never seen anything like it!!
   The fish stayed under the bridge, which offered shade, and the Great Crested Grebe kept coming up and then diving down again on the attack! This went on for about 20 minutes, I grabbed my camera and tried to capture the action, but it was very difficult tracking the fast moving Grebe under the water and focusing, especially as there was only a small area with clear visibility, and I needed the Grebe to come into it!!
  It was a very exciting few minutes, and a thrill to witness!
 
Below are some of the shots I managed of the Grebe;


^Above^ - The one shot I managed with one of the fish in too!









^Above^ - Underwater assassin!


^Above^ - The Grebe went deep at one stage and came up underneath the shoal!




^Above^ - Having a good look in the water!


^Above^ - Diving splash!




^Above^ - Handsome above water!


^Above^ - Having a shake!



^Above^ - Head shake!!


^Above^ - Grebe food!

Whilst I was at the lake a small group of large waders flew over, at first I thought they were Curlew, but looking at the pictures I think they could be Whimbrel, a rarer passage migrant.
  Amongst them was a Godwit, either a Black Tailed or Bar Tailed, again I'm unsure, but I think it could possibly be a Bar Tailed, which I have never seen before! (Below)



Below are some of the other pictures I have taken in the last 3 days with my new Nikon!






^Above^ - Chaffinch at RSPB Greylake.



^Above^ - Buzzard near Middlezoy.


^Above^ - Canada Goose at Chew Valley Lake.



^Above^ - Carrion Crow at Chew Valley Lake.


^Above^ - Somerset countryside near Bath.


^Above^ - Rare male Garganey duck at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Juvenile Herring Gull at Chew Valley Lake.


^Above^ - Mute Swan at Chew Valley Lake.


^Above^ - Landing male Mallard at Chew Valley Lake.


^Above^ - Jay at Chew Valley Lake.


^Above^ - Lapwing at RSPB Greylake.




^Above^ - Male Reed Buntings at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Dunnock at Winsford, Exmoor.


^Above^ - Male Mallard at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - New leaves, near Ilminster in Somerset.


^Above^ - Blue Tit at Winsford , Exmoor.



^Above^ - Male Blackbird in my Somerset garden.


^Above^ - They're behind you!!  Male Blackbird and flies on the house next door!


^Above^ - My gorgeous Flowering Cherry!


^Above^ - Redshank at RSPB Greylake.


^Above^ - Male Pheasant at Winsford, Exmoor.



^Above^ - Lambs and their mothers near Bath, North Somerset.



^Above^ - Juvenile Blackbird at Winsford, Exmoor.


^Above^ - Woodpigeon in my Somerset garden.



^Above^ - Mistle Thrush at Winsford, Exmoor.


All in all, I'm very pleased with the Nikon D7200, great improvements on my old D7000 and easy to use! Will take me a while to learn of all it's capabilities, in the meantime though, I trust it to get the photo's I'm after..... until I invest in a new lens anyway! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment