Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Friday 3 April 2015

Brambling in the garden on Good Friday!

Good Friday!!

When I got up this morning, it didn't really feel like a good friday at all, the headache that had dogged me for the last few weeks was still present, and the weather was dull and overcast.
   I came downstairs and carefully negotiated my way over and between my 3 daughters who were on the floor, eyes glued to the TV screen, X-Box controllers in hand.
   I went into the kitchen to grab some breakfast and glanced outside into the garden. To my pleasant surprise, sat in my flowering cherry tree was a bird I hadn't seen for about 2 or 3 years.... a Brambling!



  The first time I had ever seen these birds was also in my garden, during the snowy weather of 2010. I'd only ever seen them a handful of times since then, usually in my garden, once at Backwell Lake, and a couple of times down the road at RSPB Greylake.
    I was even more surprised as Bramblings are Winter visitors and if one was to visit my garden this year I'd have expected it around January or February, not April! Maybe the recent gales had played a part in this individual turning up at this time.
   As I said, the light was poor, but I took some pics through my kitchen window, not only of the Brambling, which flew off and came back regularly all day, but also of the other birds visiting my garden feeders.
   Maybe Good Friday was a good friday after all!











^Above^ - Brambling


^Above^ - Brambling and Chaffinch at feeder.


^Above^ - Brambling and Goldfinch.



^Above^ - Male and female Chaffinch.


^Above^ - Chaffinch with 2 Goldfinches.





^Above^ - Goldfinches.




^Above^ - Greenfinches (With Blue Tit, bottom)



^Above^ - Male House Sparrow (top) and female House Sparrow with Goldfinch.


^Above^ - Robin.


^Above^ - Blue Tit.



^Above^ - Blackbird with berry and by a Mole hill! (Unwanted garden visitor!)


^Above^ - Collared Dove.


^Above^ - Male Reed Bunting.




^Above^ - Woodpigeons.


^Above^ - Wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment