Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Sunday 4 November 2018

Delightful Spoonbills at Steart Marshes and my first Fieldfares of the Autumn!

I didn't get time to take many photo's this week, and unfortunately the weather this weekend in Somerset has been pretty grim so I couldn't get out then either!

However, I did go with my family for a walk around WWT Steart Marshes in Somerset on a day off and was delighted to see 3 Spoonbills close to the Otterhampton Marsh hide, hunting for fish and shrimps by sweeping their huge bills from side to side! It was my closest ever views of these scarce, wonderful birds! I did a bit of filming as well as capturing some photo's. The light was fading at this time, but the sunset was very nice.
  Also seen were Skylarks, Peregrine, Kestrels, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Dunlin, Curlew, Redshank , Golden Plovers and Roe Deer.
 It's a great reserve, and  it was lovely bumping into Chris Hooper and Colin Lawrence again, 2 other great local bird photographers. :)

Earlier in the week I had heard then seen my first Fieldfares of the Autumn at Stathe on the Somerset Levels! You know Winter is on the way when these Thrushes turn up from their Summer breeding grounds around Scandinavia, along with even prettier Redwings!

   Saturday was spent pointing my camera out of my kitchen window at the birds in my garden. Light was awful, but managed to photograph some of the many Goldfinches and Starlings, as well as a delightful little Wren!

Below are some of my photo's from the last week, plus a couple of videos;












^Above^ - Spoonbills at Steart Marshes in Somerset.


^Above^ - Footage of the Spoonbills feeding in their unique way!


^Above^ - Skylark at Steart Marshes.





^Above^ - Goldfinches at Steart Marshes.







^Above^ - Golen Plovers at Steart Marshes (with Lapwing in the middle pic!)


^Above^ - Dunlin at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Redshank and Dunlin at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Teal and Dunlin at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Magpie (and Starling!) at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Teal at Steart Marshes.



^Above^ - Starlings at Steart Marshes.



^Above^ - Roe Deer in the fading light at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - Cows following a Land Rover at Steart Marshes!






^Above^ - Buzzard at Othery in Somerset, with nature calling in the bottom pic! :P








^Above^ - Female Pheasants near Taunton and in Porlock, Somerset.







^Above^ - Rooks in Porlock, Somerset.


^Above^ - Robin in Porlock.




^Above^ - Fieldfares in Stathe, Somerset.






^Above^ - Kestrel at Stathe.







^Above^ - Pied Wagtails at Stathe.



^Above^ - Buzzard in Stathe.




^Above^ - Grey Squirrel caught in the act at RSPB Swell Wood in Somerset.


^Above^ - Pied Wagtail on a neighbours roof in Somerset.






^Above^ - Goldfinches in my Somerset garden.


^Above^ - Blue Tit in my garden.



^Above^ - Wren in my garden.


^Above^ - Greenfinch in my garden.




^Above^ - Starlings in my garden with Goldfinches in the bottom pic.


^Above^ - Bickering Starlings in my garden....the fat didn't last long!!!


^Above^ - Grey Squirrel with lunch in my garden.



^Above^ - Plenty of Berries in the Somerset countryside.


^Above^ - Sunset at Steart Marshes.


^Above^ - A neighbours cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment