Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Saturday 15 April 2017

Bullfinches, Linnets, Oystercatchers and other birds on holiday in Woolacombe!

Around about Easter, I often go to Woolacombe in North Devon for a family holiday, always staying at the same park, and in the same chalets. (Waney Edge Chalets at Woolacombe Sands holiday park)
    We all love it here, and I in particular love the surrounding woods and nature!
In the evenings we'd sit outside the chalet at a picnic table and watch the sun setting over Lundy Island, then watch the bats flying around in the fading light and listening to the Tawny Owls calling from the wooded valley below us! Magic!
  One morning there were a pair of Bullfinches in the bushes in front of our chalet! Ravens and Buzzards were calling overhead.
   I also love the dunes by the beach and the surrounding countryside, a great place to see Linnets and Stonechats in particular. There were also plenty of Rabbits about, as well as other small birds such as Wrens, Dunnocks, Chiffchaffs and Robins. I also saw my first Willow Warbler of the year here!
    One day we went to Ilfracombe and walked around the headland and up to the statue of the poor girl who died a few years ago after falling from the cliffs there. A sobering reminder of the care needed when walking in this beauty spot above the coastal town.
   Last year I had seen Purple Sandpipers on the rocks here, but alas, there were none this year. There were a few Oystercatchers though, which I always love seeing, a very striking shorebird!
 
Below are some photo's from my wonderful Woolacombe holiday;












^Above^ - Linnets near the dunes at Woolacombe!


















^Above^ - Stonechats at Woolacombe.







^Above^ - Robins at Woolacombe.


^Above^ - Willow Warbler at Woolacombe.


^Above^ - Wren at Woolacombe.



^Above^ - Ravens near my Woolacombe chalet.


^Above^ - Meadow Pipit near the Woolacombe dunes.


^Above^ - Magpie at Woolacombe.



^Above^ - Chiffchaff at Woolacombe.




^Above^ - Blackbirds near the Woolacombe dunes.







^Above^ - Rabbits near the Woolacombe dunes.


^Above^ - Rook near my Woolacombe chalet.



^Above^ - A male Pheasant using the walkway.... :D



^Above^ - Male and female Bullfinch in front of my chalet!





^Above^ - Blue Tits near my chalet.



^Above^ - Light phased Buzzard above my chalet.


^Above^ - Chiffchaff near my chalet.


^Above^ - Coal Tit near my chalet.


^Above^ - Goldfinch near my chalet.


^Above^ - Peacock butterfly near my chalet.








^Above^ - Oystercatchers at Ilfracombe.




^Above^ - Carrion Crows at Ilfracombe.



^Above^ - Herring Gulls at Ilfracombe.




^Above^ - House Sparrows at Ilfracombe.



^Above^ - Jackdaws at Ilfracombe.







^Above^ - A few macros from my holiday!









^Above^ - A few Woolacombe sunset scenes, with Lundy Island beyond the ship in the bottom pic.


^Above^ - Statue on the Ilfracombe headland of the girl who tragically lost her life on the cliffs.







^Above^ - Dogs having fun on the beach at Woolacombe.





^Above^ - The family dog, Flat Coated Retriever Charm, enjoying Woolacombe beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment