Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Tuesday 9 February 2016

Hen Harrier at Greylake!

Popped into RSPB Greylake in Somerset again, but this time ventured to the main hide instead of staying in the car park!
   Only just got to the hide though, the water was so high that it had started to come over the main path to the hide and when I left half an hour later it had got a little deeper! Hope it doesn't get cut off completely as there's lots to see over the reserve!
   Highlight of my brief visit was a female Hen Harrier which passed over! Only the second time I'd ever seen one at Greylake! Again, my timing was impeccable!
   Unfortunately I'd dropped my exposure control to photograph a pair of Mute Swans flying past, and forgot to dial it back again, so my pictures weren't quite as good as they could have been! A cardinal sin amongst photographers! Grrr!
   Also present was a Male Marsh Harrier and a Peregrine that tried and failed to take a Shoveler!
Also the usual Winter ducks, including more Gadwall than I had seen recently!
   There were quite a few Snipe close to the hide, and they were quite active too!

Was nice to see a couple of lovely ladies in the hide, Penny and Anne, who had wisely decided to wear gloves! My fingers almost froze!

Below are some of the photos from my brief visit;




^Above^ - Hen Harrier!






^Above^ - Peregrine Falcon.


^Above^ - Male Marsh Harrier with some kind of prey!


^Above^ - Lapwing.







^Above^ - Shovelers.



^Above^ - Gadwall.




^Above^ - Teal.




^Above^ - Wigeon.







^Above^ - Snipe.



^Above^ - Mute Swans.


^Above^ - Carrion Crow.


^Above^ - Black Tailed Godwits.


^Above^ - Starling.


^Above^ - Pied Wagtail.



^Above^ - Winter Ducks on the reserve - Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler and Gadwall.

You can 'like' my Facebook nature page here;

https://www.facebook.com/CarlBovisNaturePhotography/

You can follow my Twitter nature account here;

https://twitter.com/CarlBovisNature

You can follow my Flickr nature account here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92308738@N03/

No comments:

Post a Comment