Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Greylake Rat! - 5th March 2013

I popped into RSPB Greylake during my dinner break to take some pics of the little birds in the car park as it was a rare sunny day. I didn't have enough time to walk to the hide!
  The reserve was quite busy, I've noticed how it is becoming more popular as it matures. Improved signage on the main road helps too. The car park is reasonably small and parking could become a problem in the future, as it often is at nearby RSPB Ham Wall and Shapwick Heath!
  Whilst photographing the Reed Buntings, Chaffinches and Tits a raptor flew past scattering all the birds! I didn't see what Bird of Prey it was, though I suspect a Sparrowhawk. During the couple of minutes of waiting for the birds to come back I trained my lens on the old tree stump where seed has been put out for them and I was very surprised when a big Rat suddenly came out of the top of the stump to take the seeds! It was there for literally only a second, but as I was already set, I managed to get a picture!
    It shouldn't be a surprise that Rats are present, there are many ditches and streams, plus a regular supply of food!! I was just surprised to see one in this way! Many people don't like Rats, but I must admit that I don't mind them, it's just a pity that they carry disease!


 ^ABOVE^ - The Rat!



^ABOVE^  - Female Reed Bunting




^ABOVE^  - Male Reed Bunting


^ABOVE^  - Great Tit



^ABOVE^  - Blue Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment