Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Wednesday 18 March 2015

Hare today, gone tomorrow?

I am very lucky to have a job where I am regularly out in the countryside. Sometimes I'm in a town or City centre, but more often than not I'm working by fields, lakes and woods in Somerset and Dorset.
    Today I happened to be working close to my home on the Somerset Levels. I drive the road every single day, to and from work, yet I had never seen the animal that I saw this morning here before!
    Whilst waiting for the contractors to arrive I stood and glanced across the road to the neighbouring fields. There, charging across the nearest field, was a Hare!



   I quickly grabbed my camera and went and knelt by a gate that accessed the farmland, expecting to get a distant shot or 2 of this elusive animal. I'd never had luck photographing them. I'd only ever seen them on the Levels a handful of times in my life!
   To my surprise and amazement the Hare turned and started running straight towards me!!
I took the opportunity to click away, making the most of this rare situation! I wasn't even hidden!
  At one stage I thought it was coming to shake my hand! It got so close that I had to pull my lens back to get it in the frame!
    It stopped, looked at me, then ran on past me!
That's when I noticed another Hare! They ran towards each other and danced a little, I was hoping for a 'boxing' match, but that would've been a bit too lucky!!
  Shortly after I noticed a 3rd Hare in the field! Amazing!
They all seemed to be doing circuits of the field and ran past me a few times!

Overhead Rooks were coming and going to a nearby Rookery, and I noticed a Heron, Mute Swan and Little Egret on the river than ran alongside the 'Hare field'
  There were plenty of Woodpigeons, Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, a lone Stock Dove, a Pheasant, Magpies, a passing Cormorant and a calling Buzzard high overhead!
 Such a beautiful morning!
I wonder if the Hares will be back there tomorrow?

Belows are some of the other pics I took;



































^Above^ - The wonderful Hares!


^Above^ - Little Egret.



^Above^ - Rook and the Rookery.


^Above^ - Carrion Crow.


^Above^ - Magpie.


^Above^ - Cormorant.


^Above^ - Mute Swan.


^Above^ - Stock Dove.



^Above^ - Woodpigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment