Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Sunday 8 May 2016

Cuckoo at Greylake, Garden Warblers at Ham Wall!

I popped to RSPB Greylake yesterday for a couple of hours as the weather was glorious!
  I've been waiting for a new lens to arrive for the last week, but it's taking it's time, I think it has been sent by tortoise..... so again I took my Sigma 150-600mm with me.
  A male Kestrel spent most of the time I was there hover hunting in the grassy field next to the car park, it went down a number of times but never seemed to come up again with a catch!
  I walked down the path past the first pond and heard a Cuckoo very close by! Looking through the trees I saw it land in a tree the other side of the pond! I ran up the path til I was by the floating seats and the Cuckoo was still sat there, though it had definitely clocked me!! I fired off a few shots before it flew off..... I was thrilled to get my best ever Cuckoo shots! What a great bird!
   Earlier in the week I popped into RSPB Ham Wall (I always seem to 'pop' places....I rarely get any decent time at these places I love!) There were loads of Warblers singing, especially Blackcaps!
 Near the first viewing platform a Garden Warbler was singing. These are elusive birds, like most Warblers in fact...I've only ever seen them a handful of times, and never had a decent shot of one! I managed a couple of ok shots this time.....there was in fact at least 2 birds here, possibly 3 or 4!
  I also managed more shots of the nesting Cetti's Warblers, now these are the kings of elusiveness in the Warbler world!!

Below are some pictures from the last week;

Cuckoo







^Above^ - The Greylake Cuckoo!



















^Above^ - Hunting male Kestrel at Greylake.



^Above^ - Heron with assorted farm animals at Greylake!


^Above^ - Male Gadwall at Greylake.


^Above^ - Female Shoveler at Greylake.




^Above^ - Mute Swan at Greylake.


^Above^ - Swift at Greylake.


^Above^ - Dunnock at Greylake.


^Above^ - Carrion Crow at Greylake.









^Above^ - Cetti's Warblers at Ham Wall.





^Above^ - Garden Warblers at Ham Wall.


^Above^ - Male Blackcap at Ham Wall.


^Above^ - Whitethroat at Ham Wall.


^Above^ - Blackbird at Ham Wall.


^Above^ - Dunnock at Ham Wall.


^Above^ - Linnet near Hambridge in Somerset.





^Above^ - Chaffinches from earlier in the week at Greylake.




^Above^ - Dunnocks at Greylake.


^Above^ - Great Tit at Greylake.


^Above^ - Male House Sparrow at Greylake.



^Above^ - Male Reed Bunting at Greylake.



^Above^ - Robin at Greylake.



No comments:

Post a Comment