Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Wednesday 30 December 2015

The end of 2015, and a last visit to Greylake!

Another rare day of sun, so once again I took myself off to RSPB Greylake on The Somerset Levels.
   Now I've thought this for a while, but the reserve seems to outgrown it's car park! It was packed when I pulled in yesterday morning, I'd never seen it so busy! I only got a parking space because someone was pulling out as I entered! I know a lot of people are still on their Christmas holidays, which may have contributed to how busy it was, but I have seen the amount of visitors increase quite considerably in recent months. If a rare bird turned up, there would be big problems, people may try parking on the main road/verge, which would be very dangerous as it's a very fast main 'A' road linking Taunton to Glastonbury!
   The increase in visitors has also meant the hides are often packed, and some people will get a position early and sit there for half a day or more. I've seen numerous people come into the hide, see there's nowhere to sit and see the birds and turn around and leave again. Another hide, situated between the 2 current ones would be ideal, but I understand the cost implications of this.
   Greylake is relatively small and new, but it's often easier to see the birds than at other larger reserves, and it's so easy to get to and look around, it's popularity is only going to increase in the future!

 Anyway, below I share pics of the birds I saw during my 3 hour visit, and the reason why nature lovers keep returning, time and again!













^Above^ - Black Tailed Godwits.













^Above^ - Shovelers.


^Above^ - Male Shoveler (with Wigeon and Lapwing.)







^Above^ - Wigeon.



^Above^ -Male Teal.






^Above^ - Snipe.


^Above^ - Dunlin (With a pair of waders on the right I'm not sure of!)



^Above^ - Flocks of Golden Plover and Lapwing.




^Above^ - Gadwall, with a pair of Teal in the bottom pic.






^Above^ - Lapwings. (With Black Tailed Godwits, bottom pic)


^Above^ - A pair of Pintail, Wigeon, Shovelers and Black tailed Godwits.


^Above^ - A pair of Pintail and 3 Black Tailed Godwits.



^Above^ - Marsh Harrier.









^Above^ - Ducks galore!! Mostly Wigeon and Teal.


^Above^ -Starling.





^Above^ - Great Spotted Woodpecker.








^Above^ - Blue Tit.




^Above^ - Great Tit.



^Above^ - Dunnock.






^Above^ - Robin.




^Above^ - Chaffinches. (Male, bottom pic.)



^Above^ - Long Tailed Tit.











^Above^ - Reed Buntings.

You can 'like' my Facebook nature page here;

https://www.facebook.com/CarlBovisNaturePhotography

You can follow my Twitter nature account here;

https://twitter.com/CarlBovisNature

Thank you for reading/looking..... I hope you have a very happy new year!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment